LILacrosseNews.com, Posted 8/3/15
From Press Release and Staff Report
After three grueling days of head-to-head competition and evaluation last week, Guardian Sports is proud to announce that Collin Modelski, a 2016 from De Paul Catholic High School and Brotherhood Travel Lacrosse in New Jersey, is the men’s overall winner for The 2nd Annual Guardian National Championship.
In its second year at Spooky Nook in Manheim, Pa., The Guardian National Championship (GNC) is the largest lacrosse goalie-specific showcase bringing together the top high school boys lacrosse goalies from across the country to compete and showcase their talents. The goalies are evaluated in 15 position-specific tests in four key component areas; REACTIONARY, OFFENSIVE, ATHLETIC and VIRTUAL.
Matthew Knote of Eastport South Manor HS (N.Y.) and Team ESM placed second in the 2019 class.
Modelski, who has started at DePaul Catholic since his freshman year, said winning the crown is a confidence boost.
“Winning was a shock to me,” said Modelski. “I had no idea i could win this.
“Coming into my senior year this gives me more confidence. Goalies sometimes have bad games that you throw you off track. It’s important to be able to come back to your roots and this will bring me more confidence. It also showed me what I need to improve on.”
What was one area of need for Modelski?
“I defibnitely need to work ore on clearing,” he said. “I saw that my distance wasn’t as good as I thought it would be.”
How did the competition compare to other events?
“It’s something like you have never seen,” he said. “No goalie will ever experience this. This only focused on all aspects of being a goalie.
“Usually when you got to tournaments you just play in games, and in showcases they do a couple drills. This focused on how to be a goalie, how to communicate. It brought out your best talents and showed you where you had weaknesses. For the goalie’s perspective it was so focused on you – everybody was there to help make you a better goalie and a better person.”
Results for the 2nd Annual Guardian National Championships – Men’s Division
1. Christian Wagner, Caldwell HS (N.J.) and Thunder Lacrosse
2. Matthew Knote, Eastport South Manor HS (N.Y.) and Team ESM
3. Theo Dardia, Westfield HS (N.J.) and NJ Riot
1. Patrick Trezza, New Providence HS (NJ) and NJ Riot and Dan Liable, West Essex HS and Trilogy Lacrosse
2. Jack Gruchacz, Millburn HS and Building Blocks Lacrosse
3. Connor Gilfillan, Delbarton HS
1. Ryan Weck, Madison HS and (N.J.) 2 Knights Lacrosse
2. Stephen Russo, Livingston HS (N.J.) and Building Blocks Lacrosse
3. Justin Reed, Susquehannock HS (PA), Black Dog Legacy Lacrosse
1. Collin Modelski, DePaul Catholic HS (N.J.) and Brotherhood Lacrosse
2. Jack Marks, Dallastown HS (PA) and Blue Mountain Lacrosse
3. Alex Mulyk, Don Bosco Prep (PA) and Brotherhood Lacrosse
The 2015 Men’s Guardian Champion, Collin Modelski, noted this was his first time at the Championship. “Any goalie that wants to come, don’t hesitate. It’s something that you’ve never seen before, It gets you better while you are working to be the best. The combine focuses on your skills but you also make good friends.”
For more information on the 2nd Annual Guardian National Championships visit www.GuardianSports.net. Also, be sure to follow Guardian Sports on Twitter – @goalguardian and Instagram Guardain_Sports and like Guardian Sports on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/www.guardiansports.net