follow us on...

Men’s lacrosse: St. John’s bows to Notre Dame, 13-6, at Big City Classic despite strong first half

Monday, 2nd April 2012

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 4/2/12
From Press Release

St. John’s (5-4, 1-2) played a valiant first half but was unable to put together the complete performance as No. 6 Notre Dame (7-1, 2-0) used a ten-goal second half to claim the 13-6 victory at the Konica Minolta Big City Classic Sunday in East Rutherford, N.J.

“It wasn’t a great second half by us, you got to give Notre Dame a ton of credit, at the end of the day they really flexed their muscles,” said head coach Jason Miller. “A lot of the things that we were doing well in the first half we weren’t able to maintain in the second half. I give them an awful lot of credit, and now we regroup and try and get one down in Georgetown next week.”

For the second consecutive game Dillon Ayers recorded nine groundballs as the long stick midfielder continuously helped the Red Storm gain possession in the first half. Kieran McArdle had a team-high three points with one goal and two assists. Sophomore Ryan Fitzgerald scored two first-half goals giving the midfielder seven goals in his last four games.

St. John’s won the groundball battle 28-to-26 but was outshot 36-28 as the Fighting Irish offense registered 24 second-half shots.

Notre Dame got on the board early and both teams found offensive looks hard to come by until Kevin Cernuto created one on his own to tie the score 1-1 with three minutes to play in the first quarter. The Fighting Irish would add a goal less than two minutes later to take a 2-1 lead into the second quarter.

Senior Harry Kutner opened the following quarter with a beautiful left-handed shot into the lower netting off a pass from Terence Leach. It was Kutner’s 11th goal of the season and brought the game to a 2-2 tie. Fitzgerald gave the Red Storm its first lead as he converted off a pretty find from McArdle just outside the left side of the crease. Notre Dame would answer back again to even things up at three. Fitzgerald would capitalize on an unsettled situation and hit a long shot off a feed from Cernuto to lift St. John’s as it went into half with a 4-3 lead.

A three-goal string by Notre Dame to open the second half helped the Irish regain control until McArdle found a cutting Leach in front of cage to bring the Red Storm deficit back within one, 6-5. However, a Notre Dame goal with just six seconds left in the third quarter seemed to change the momentum of the game as the Fighting Irish rattled off six goals in a row to start the fourth quarter.

Jim Marlatt did most of the work himself scoring three goals in a one-minute nineteen-second span to put the Irish up 10-5. Three more Fighting Irish goals followed before McArdle would close the scoring out with an unassisted goal of a crafty spin move to bring the game to its 13-6 final.

The announced attendance of the Inside Lacrosse organized triple-header was 25,934 making it the highest attended regular season college lacrosse event.



You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest Headlines