follow us on...

Men’s lacrosse: Rogers (Holy Trinity) gives Notre Dame OT win over Hofstra; St. John’s nearly stuns Syracuse

Saturday, 10th March 2012

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 3/10/12
From Press Release

Senior Sean Rogers (Holy Trinity) scored his third goal of the game with 2:41 to play in the first overtime to give the seventh-ranked Fighting Irish of Notre Dame a 6-5 overtime victory over 19th-ranked Hofstra at James M. Shuart Stadium Saturday afternoon. The Pride slipped to 2-3 on the season while the Irish improved to 3-1 on the year.

Hofstra goalie Andrew Gvozden stops Trinity grad Sean Rogers on this shot with the help of strong defense (Photo by Rob Kelly)

The Pride were led by sophomore Lance Yapor, who tallied three goals to extend his goal-scoring streak to five games while junior Ian Braddish and sophomore Torin Varn each scored once. Varn’s goal, with 3.9 seconds remaining in regulation tied the game at 5-5. Junior Adrian Sorichetti posted two assists for Hofstra. Senior goalie Andrew Gvozden stopped seven shots in the Pride goal.

In addition to Rogers’ hat-trick and one assist, the Irish received two goals and two assists from sophomore Jim Marlatt and one goal from Westy Hopkins. Junior goalie John Kemp made eight saves in the Notre Dame cage.

After a 1-1 first quarter, the Irish scored twice in the second quarter to take a 3-1 lead at halftime. The Irish opened the scoring with 5:11 to play in the first quarter as Marlatt took a pass from Rogers and fired a 15-yard high bullet past Gvozden for his fourth goal of the year and a 1-0 lead. The Pride tied the game less than two minutes later as Braddish took a pass from Sorichetti on the right side and took a shot from eight yards that deflected off Kemp’s stick and into the cage. It was Braddish’s fifth goal of the season.

Hofstra's Tyler Begley (East Islip) looks to pass (Photo by Rob Kelly)

But the Irish scored twice in the second as Marlatt fed Rogers from behind the cage for his third goal of the year just 55 seconds into the period. Hopkins made it 3-1 with 9:10 to play in the half, scooping up a loose ball to the right of the crease, moving in on the goal and scoring while falling down. It was his third goal of the season.

Hofstra came out in the second half with some fire, scoring three unanswered goals by Yapor to take a 4-3 lead late in the fourth quarter. The Glenview, Illinois native, who leads Hofstra in scoring, tallied three unassisted goals on great individual efforts. On Yapor’s first goal of the day, he came around the right side of the cage and beat Kemp with 9:09 to play in the third quarter. Less than four minutes later, he scored from the left side, firing a shot high to the far post to tie the contest at 3-3. The Pride took their first lead of the game with 5:17 to play in regulation as he came around the right side of Kemp and swung a one-handed shot past Kemp.

But the last 1:02 of regulation were intense as the Irish tied the contest at that point as junior Ryan Foley came around the left side of Gvozden and sent a short pass to Marlatt, who beat Gvozden from in close to knot the game at 4-4. The Irish took a 5-4 lead with 12 seconds to go when freshman Conor Doyle found Rogers for his second of the day and fourth of the year.

But the Pride didn’t quit. On the ensuing face-off junior John Antoniades won the face-off, fed Sorichetti on the right sideline, who found a crossing Torin Varn in the middle of the box. Varn caught and fired for his fourth goal of the season with 3.9 seconds remaining to send the game into overtime.

In the overtime, the Pride won the opening face-off and had the first scoring opportunity but Braddish’s shot was deflected and Kemp made the save. After a Notre Dame timeout, the Irish came down as Marlatt sent a pass to Rogers on the left side of goal, who fired from seven yards out for the game-winner. It was the second straight home overtime loss for the Pride after dropping a 10-9 triple overtime loss to Fairfield on February 28.The Irish outshot Hofstra, 31-28 while the Pride picked up 21 ground balls to Notre Dame’s 20.

Syracuse 9, St. John’s 8

In a back and forth affair, St. John’s (2-2, 0-1) came up just shy of capturing arguably the program’s best victory as No. 6 and eleven time NCAA champion Syracuse (3-1, 1-0) prevailed at DaSilva Memorial Field in Queens, N.Y.

The Red Storm battled hard on the defensive end throughout holding Syracuse to single digits for only the second time in BIG EAST lacrosse history. The other time was on a 5-4 victory over Villanova on March 26, 2011.

Goalie Jeff Lowman channeled his inner-Jim Craig to keep St. John’s upset hopes alive with 15 saves. The performance ties his season-high after the junior stopped 15 shots in the opener against Holy Cross on Feb. 18, 2012.

Senior Terence Leach and sophomore Kevin Cernuto each recorded hat tricks. The effort was Leach’s first three-goal game of his career, as two of his scores came on man-up opportunities. Cernuto now has two hat tricks on the season and leads St. John’s with eight goals total.

The Red Storm announced its intentions early on as sophomore Colin Keegan finished an unsettled situation in front of net to make it 1-0. Syracuse would get a pair of goals from Derek Maltz and Kevin Drew in the waning minutes of the quarter to take the opening period advantage.

Leach capitalized on a man-up opportunity off a rebound in front of net to tie the game up at two early in the second quarter. A flurry of goals would come around the eight minute mark as Cernuto used a feed from Kieran McArdle to put the Red Storm back on top, 3-2. Cernuto scored again seconds later as Jordan Rothman won the faceoff and set up the sophomore for a right-handed snipe into the top corner. Rothman excelled at the faceoff X throughout the day, winning 13-of-21 draws.

Drew scored for the Orange following the next faceoff to bring the tally to 5-4. The teams would play to a scoreless draw for the final eight minutes of the half as the St. John’s defense did a solid job of closing out on Syracuse shooters. Senior transfer Harrison Freid had his best performance in his short Red Storm career with four groundballs and three caused turnovers. Freshman Mark DiFrangia responded admirably to his first starting nod with four groundballs and two caused turnovers of his own.

Leach opened up the second half scoring with his second extra-man goal of the game off an assist from Keegan to push the lead to 5-3. Consecutive goals by Bobby Eilers for Syracuse evened the game at five and set the stage for an exciting final fifteen minutes in Queens.

McArdle found an open Leach who gave St. John’s the lead with 12:16 remaining in the contest. A three-goal run by Syracuse could have easily put the underdog Red Storm away as goals by Tim Desko, Henry Schoonmaker and Maltz in a three-minute span had the Orange up 8-6 and in control of the result.

St. John’s would not go quietly as a man-up goal by Harry Kutner and a tough unassisted effort by Cernuto from behind net tied the game at eight with less than four minutes to play. As a loose ball trickled behind net, Lowman attempted to gain possession for the Red Storm but was unable to fend off Desko in front of net. The Syracuse attackman would roll one into the corner of the net and put the Orange up 9-8 with less than two minutes remaining.

DiFrangia would force a turnover off a double team after St. John’s lost the following faceoff, but the team failed to get a real chance on its final opportunity.

St. John’s is now 0-5 all-time and 0-3 under head coach Jason Miller against Syracuse, as the Orange improved to 13-0 in the history of the BIG EAST lacrosse conference.

Tags: , ,


You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest Headlines