follow us on...

Men’s lacrosse: Hofstra topples No. 15 Harvard, 7-6, on goal by Reilly; Stony Brook bows

Saturday, 3rd March 2012

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 3/3/12
From Press Releases

Freshman long-stick middie Ryan Rielly’s first college goal with 6:52 to play in the fourth quarter snapped a 6-6 tie and gave the Hofstra Pride a 7-6 victory over the 15th-ranked Harvard Crimson at Soldiers Field Saturday afternoon. The Pride, who snapped a two-game losing skid, improve to 2-2 on the season while the Crimson fell to 2-1.

Freshman Tyler Begley tallied two goals while juniors Ian Braddish and Adrian Sorichetti each added a goal and an assist to lead the Pride. Sophomores Steve DiGiovanni and Lance Yapor also added goals for Hofstra. Senior Andrew Gvozden recorded 13 saves in the Pride goal for his second win of the season.

Harvard was led by senior Jeff Cohen, who tallied three goals and one assist. Senior `Kevin Vaughan, freshman Sean Mahon and sophomore Eric Slingerland also tallied goals for the Crimson. Junior Harry Krieger stopped 10 shots in the Harvard cage.

Rielly, a native of East Northport, New York, took a pass from classmate Steve Romano near midfield, went down the middle and fired a bullet past Harvard goalie Harry Krieger for the game-winner. The goal came just 42 seconds after the Crimson tied the game on a similar fast-break off a turnover that led to an Eric Slingerland goal with 7:34 to play.

“I am so happy for our guys getting this win today,” Pride Coach Seth Tierney commented. “To come up here and get a win against a very good Harvard team is special. We worked hard as a team. Our first three goals were by a freshman and a sophomore and another freshman (Rielly) scored the game-winner. So we are growing up a bit but we have more work to do to get ready for Notre Dame next week.”

The Pride scored the first three goals of the game to take a 3-0 advantage 8:10 into the contest. Freshman Tyler Begley opened the scoring 2:56 into the contest, scooping up a loose ball near the crease and beating Krieger for the first goal of his college career. Begley would make it 2-0 almost five minutes later, taking a short drop off pass from Braddish and scoring from eight yards. Just 48 seconds later, DiGiovanni scored on a runner down the right alley for a 3-0 lead. It was his second goal of the year.

Harvard got on the board with 1:24 to play in the quarter as Mahon took a pass from Keegan Michel and fired a high laser from the left side. But the Pride erased that goal just six seconds into the second quarter when John Antoniades won the face-off, fed senior Mike DeNapoli, who passed to Yapor for his ninth goal of the year and a 4-1 lead.

But Cohen scored back-to-back goals 2:06 apart to bring the Crimson back to within one at 4-3 with 7:34 to play in the half. Hofstra’s Adrian Sorichetti scored his seventh goal of the year with 1:42 to play in the quarter only to see Cohen get the hat-trick for Harvard, on a pass from behind the cage from Carl Zimmerman, with just four seconds remaining in the half to close the gap to 5-4.

Harvard tied the game just 2:14 into the third quarter as Vaughan scored coming from behind the goal. But the Pride regained the lead four minutes later when Braddish took a pass from Sorichetti in the middle of the box and fired a high bullet past Krieger for a 6-5 lead. The Crimson tied the game at 6-6 on Slingerland’s fast-break goal with 7:34 to play in the game.

Harvard outshot the Pride, 31-25 and picked up 20 ground balls to Hofstra’s 18. The Pride won the battle at the face-off X as junior John Antoniades won nine of the 17 face-offs in the contest.

The Pride will return to action next Saturday, March 10 when they host the ninth-ranked Fighting Irish of Notre Dame at James M. Shuart Stadium. Game time is 3 p.m.

Marist 10, Stony Brook 9

Despite three points apiece from seniors Robbie Campbell (Delta, British Columbia) and Russ Bonanno (Seaford, N.Y.), Marist’s Connor Rice scored with 36 seconds left to break a 9-9 tie and sent the Red Foxes (2-0) past Stony Brook in the Seawolves’ 2012 home opener.

Rice’s goal, his third of the day, came off a cross-crease pass from Jack Doherty, who also scored three goals.

Redshirt freshman Mike Rooney (East Islip, N.Y.) and junior Nick Watson (Manchester, England) joined Campbell and Bonanno with two goals.

Rice led all players with five points.

“We were penalized way too much today, and gave Marist too many opportunities,” coach Jim Nagle said. “I give Marist a lot of credit for playing within their system. We’ve got to be more consistent which starts with fundamentals.”

Despite winning just one face-off in the third quarter, Stony Brook and Marist were tied at seven going into the fourth quarter.

Freshman Mike Andreassi (Holbrook, N.Y.), who won five of Stony Brook’s 10 face-offs, won the opening draw of the quarter to give the Seawolves some momentum.

After a flag was thrown on Marist, a loose ball was corralled by Campbell, who scored unassisted 33 seconds into the final period. Rooney nearly made it 9-7 a minute later, but his shot hit the post. But one possession later, Rooney’s goal at 10:29 gave the Seawolves the game’s only two-goal lead of the game, 9-7.

Doherty scored a man-up goal to make it 9-8 with 5:55 left.

The Red Foxes were man-up again just 29 seconds later, and Rice capitalized off a failed Stony Brook clear, scoring to tie the game for the seventh time on the afternoon.

Click here to find out more!

A holding call on the face-off gave Stony Brook one final possession. Campbell drove goal-line extended and scored, but Campbell was called for a crease violation, and Marist retained possession.

Both of Watson’s goals gave Stony Brook one-goal leads. The first 45 minutes of the game featured six ties and five lead changes.

Senior Jared LeVerne (Jericho, N.Y.) tallied three ground balls and three caused turnovers.



You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest Headlines