follow us on...

Men’s lacrosse: Hofstra bows to Fairfield, 10-9, in 3OT heartbreaker

Wednesday, 29th February 2012

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 2/29/12
From Press Release

Fairfield’s Brent Adams scored 1:53 into the third overtime as Hofstra fell to the 20th-ranked Stags, 10-9, in a non-conference matchup at James M. Shuart Stadium Tuesday night.

Senior Andrew Gvozden posted a season-high 17 saves, allowing the Pride to come back from a 5-2 deficit. Junior midfielder Adrian Sorichetti notched his third career hat trick for the Pride, which fell to 1-2. John Snellman scored a game-high four goals for the Stags to lift Fairfield to 3-0.

Adams scored at even strength almost two minutes into triple overtime, ending the second-longest game in the 63-year history of the Hofstra program. It was the first Pride contest to go beyond a single overtime since 2009. The only game that went longer in Hofstra history was a 10-9 four-overtime thriller over Towson in 1989.

Sophomore attackman Torin Varn scored two goals, registering his first multi-goal game of the season for the Pride. Lance Yarpor recorded two second-half goals that put Hofstra ahead both times and junior midfielder Ian Braddish finished with a goal and two assists.

Hofstra went down a man 59 seconds into the third overtime with Mike DeNapoli being sent off for pushing. The Pride negated Fairfield’s man-up advantage, limiting the Stags to just one wide shot. But the Pride couldn’t gain possession and Adams netted his second goal of the game to cap his four-point night.

Before the extra-time dramatics, the Pride took the lead twice in the second half. Yapor broke an 8-all tie, shooting around a defender from nearly 20 feet out for a one-goal lead with eight minutes left.

Adams’ goal just 48 seconds into the fourth quarter had tied it at eight before Yapor’s second goal, and Snellman allowed the Stags to tie it for the second time, taking Dylan McGoldrick’s feed and potting the equalizer with 4:23 left to tie it at 9.

With time winding down in regulation, the Stags elected to play for the final scoring chance, holding the ball for almost the last three minutes. But Gvozden and the Pride defense were up to the challenge, keeping Fairfield to the outside to keep it tied. Gvozden stopped Eric Warden’s shot with 27 second left, sending Hofstra to its first overtime appearance since 2010 at Penn State. It was also Hofstra’s first home overtime game since the Pride defeated then-No. 1 Johns Hopkins in 2008.

In the first overtime, Hofstra nearly generated the game-winner off John Antoniades’ faceoff win. Fairfield goalie Charlie Cipriano made a stick save on Sorichetti’s shot 16 seconds into the period. Cipriano finished with 13 saves.

The Pride’s defense stayed disciplined in front of Gvozden, making a key block on Sam Snow’s shot with eight seconds left.

Bradish nearly capitalized on the defensive effort, dodging two defenders to release a quick shot that Cipriano saved. Gvozden matched his counterpart with seven seconds left in double OT, stonewalling Snellman.

Down 6-3 in the first half, Hofstra scored five consecutive goals between the second and third quarters to take a two-goal lead. DeNapoli and Braddish started the run with goals 6:30 apart. Sorichetti then dodged a defender and bounced a shot from 30 feet out to tie it at 6 with 8:30 left in the third quarter.

Yapor tallied another goal and Sorichetti produced another highlight-worthy goal, taking a hit from two defenders-including a short-stick midfielder and a long-pole defender-kept possession of the ball and ripped a shot to the top-left for the hat trick goal for the 8-6 edge with 3:57 left. It was Sorichetti’s first hat trick since April 23 against UMass last year.

Hofstra fell behind 4-1 before storming back to cut the Stags’ edge to 6-5 at halftime. Braddish was part of two goals in the final eight minutes of the half, assisting on senior Mike DeNapoli’s goal and then scoring on a close-range shot with 1:36 left to make it a one-goal game.

Senior midfielder Steve Serling generated two quality chances to tie it before the break, firing a low shot that Cipriano saved. With the ball loose five yards outside the cage, Serling scooped up the rebound before Cipriano stopped the second-chance shot to keep the Stags ahead.

Snellman recorded a hat trick in the first quarter, lifting the Stags to a 5-3 lead after 15 minutes. Fairfield went on a game-opening 3-0 run, scoring a trio of goals of the first five shots. Hofstra got back into the game when Sorichetti rocketed a 45-foot shot to the top-right corner at 7:11, giving the junior midfielder goals in all three of Hofstra’s games this season.

Varn’s second goal of the quarter with 24.5 seconds left gave the Pride a lift to make it 5-3. Gvozden then posted a save on Adam’s head-on shot in the final 15 seconds off the faceoff to keep the deficit at two heading into the second, serving as a springboard for Hofstra’s rally.

Hofstra will continue its non-conference slate on Saturday, March 3 when it faces Harvard on the road at 3 p.m.



You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest Headlines